Dan has been a partner in the MSLZ&M Wilmington, Delaware office since its inception in 2007. During more than twenty-seven years of practicing law, he has consistently provided well-managed direct, personal contact with clients and adjusters. Based upon his expertise, Dan has achieved the respect of his peers culminating in an AV preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell for excellence in both quality and ethics. Striving to ensure the highest quality representation for his clients, Dan focuses on timely and relevant reporting and communications. He also looks for the most effective and economically efficient resolution of cases, and has found that the best way to serve the client and the carrier is by identifying impediments to resolution early on, and taking cost effective measures to overcome them.
Dan is a very experienced trial attorney having tried cases in all Delaware Courts in all three counties. His trial and dispositive motion practice led to Dan arguing numerous cases before the Delaware Supreme Court. His practice currently focuses on high value cases involving wrongful death, premises liability, product liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist claims. During his career, Dan has investigated, litigated or assisted in the resolution of more than 20 cases involving wrongful death, and many more involving catastrophic injuries.
Dan’s trial and appellate experience includes:
- Obtaining a defense verdict for prominent propane gas supplier in a wrongful death case from a propane explosion obliterating a house and killing the occupant, who left behind a spouse and three daughters, whereas a verdict in excess of $3 million was found against the co-defendant. The defense verdict was affirmed by the Delaware Supreme Court on appeal.
- Obtaining a defense verdict for a major grocery store in slip and fall case resulting in four shoulder surgeries to the plaintiff, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtaining a defense verdict for restaurant in slip and fall case resulting in lumbar surgery to a plaintiff with a multiple personality disorder, which was not appealed.
- Obtaining a ruling from the Delaware Supreme Court that expert testimony was required to establish negligence against a security officer, thereby resulting in affirmance of a grant of summary judgment for a major national department store.
- Obtaining several zero dollar verdicts in cases where liability was conceded but the causation of injuries and/or surgery were challenged.
Likewise, Dan is a frequent seminar presenter on behalf of both the firm and the National Business Institute on a variety of personal injury litigation issues. He has assisted in developing seminars to insurance carriers on premises liability, ethics, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and the interaction between PIP and Worker’s Compensation benefits, including the subrogation rights of each. In addition to being a certified Delaware Superior Court Mediator, Dan has completed the requisite seminars enabling him to serve as a personal injury litigation arbitrator.
Nearly a lifelong resident of Delaware, Dan is married with three daughters. He has been very active in the Episcopal Church at both the local and Diocesan level and served as the Presiding Judge for the Ecclesiastical Trial Court for the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware. He enjoys cooking, sports trivia, fantasy sports leagues, and listening to Jimmy Buffett and Zac Brown Band.